cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Hotspot, No Connection to Internet

dilburrito
New Contributor

I have a 2022 Chevy Silverado, bought the thing used awhile back. The WiFi Hotspot has never worked, basically it will allow a device to join but does not actually route to the internet.

I have had several other Chevy/GMC trucks where the WiFi/Onstar stuff worked fine, so I know it's possible.

I have called onstar several times, today for the forth time to work out this problem. It is always exactly the same thing. Forget the network, leave the truck with the door open for a few minutes, jump through some other hoops. It always ends with, we have to open a ticket for their other support guys and they will call me back to let me know when the problem is fixed.

Crickets... NEVER a call back, we have confirmed the call back number every time. From the customer service perspective this is pretty disgusting, make a commitment to a customer and fail to follow up on a service that has been paid for but non-operable.

Every time the phone support guys focus on the toggle switch for "Share Hotspot Data" and the fact that it's impossible to toggle on, I'll attach a picture if the forum permits.

Anyone know what that does or why it is there? The owners manual says nothing about this toggle. Maybe it's the problem but it makes no sense. Why would anyone want to toggle the ability to route to the Internet (or any other network) if you have already allowed the WiFi connection? Why would you connect in the first place if you didn't intend to go somewhere?

Anyway, other network based apps work OK, Pandora, MyGMC, Weather, etc. Some kind of data routing is happening somehow, just not on WiFi.

Anyone have any idea how to get WiFi routing to the net? Anyone know what the definition of this toggle switch is? Anyone know how to get past the first line guys and talk to someone who knows something?hotspot.jpg

25 REPLIES 25

bobcob69
New Contributor

Internet not working in my 2022 Silverado for the past 3 weeks. Seeing all these other posts on here, what is the fix for this?

Thank you for bringing your Wi-Fi concerns to our attention. If you need an additional layer of assistance kindly email socialmedia@gm.com with the subject headline ATTN: OnStar Community/bobcob69 moving forward. We hope to hear from you. 

Krellheat
New Contributor

This must be rampant as it has also occurred on a 2023 GMC Canyon Denali.  All the ‘soft’ reboots did nothing. A case was created and elevated to be told to take it to the dealer it might be a bad module but I disagree as the can see and ping the cell module. I just cannot get the system to allow sharing wifi with other devices. It must be hardcoaded one-time use setting that cannot be undone. So I will have the dealer go through the same door dance and results will probably be DOA. So much for the $1500 not optional feature on the Denali. 

Thank you kindly for bringing these ongoing in-vehicle Wi-Fi concerns to our attention. If you are currently working with our internal teams regarding your case, do not hesitate to send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: OnStar Community/Krellheat moving forward. We are more than happy to take a further look into things on our end and provide any available assistance. 

kevinflynn
New Contributor

I think I finally discovered a permanent fix to this ongoing issue.  All of you exchange contact information and select a very large and successful law firm and file a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT for fraud, breach of contract and loss of income.  I am sure all of you drive and use the interenet for a living so that would be loss of income.

CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT will fix this way faster than calling support or posting in a forum.  

The whole point of the 800# and this forum is to keep you from doing anything else, especially taking legal action.

While you're in here and on the phone you are NOT forcing GM to address the issue physically.

red_vette
New Contributor

My ‘23 Silverado is now having this same issue. Did the reboot from the steering wheel and then disconnected the battery. Both processes did nothing. Basically, no internet over the hotspot plus all of the data dependent apps like navigation, streaming music, Google integration just sit and spin.  Paying way too much a month for non functioning features.  And I know it’s not a signal issue as our Tesla also uses ATT for data and it has no problems at the same locations. What is the fix?

We appreciate you bringing these Wi-Fi concerns to our attention. This is not the service that we strive to provide our members. Our team would like to take a further look into your account details and assist to the best of our abilities. So we may, please email socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: OnStar Community/red_vette in the subject headline. Once we have more information, we will be in the best position to help. 

Robertjljr
New Contributor

2023 GMC Yukon Ultimate. Exact same issue. Now the Map doesn’t work. No Hotspot. No help from Onstar. Onstar Button doesn’t even initiate the Onstar feature anymore. As someone else mentioned,  Class action might be fun. Get this fixed or I’m lawyering up! 110K for our vehicle. This better get fixed before our new year road trip to New Mexico!

Pafall
New Contributor

2023 Suburban with same WiFi / Maps / OnStar not working issue.  Dealer asked me to bring back the vehicle to remove the roof head liner to check out the antenna and other items.   I have seen that this issue is being reported by others.  Do we know if this is a recent malfunction?  Does anyone know of a proven fix as of this time?  I'm a little nervous having the head liner removed - they are usually a bear to re apply and do not look as nice.  Any advice, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  To say we are disappointed is an understatement. 

We do regret to hear of any interruptions. To clarify, can you please provide us with the color of the LED light near your OnStar hardware via email to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: OnStar Community/Robertjljr in the subject headline. Our team would like to take a further look into things on our end and assist to the best of our abilities.