cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intent to File Lawsuit

Rayanalfayez
New Contributor

I am writing to express my extreme dissatisfaction and intent to pursue legal action against General Motors and OnStar. I have recently discovered that my personal data and driving reports, collected through OnStar, have been shared with insurance companies without my knowledge or explicit consent.

This unauthorized data sharing has caused direct and severe harm. My insurance rates have skyrocketed, and my longtime insurance company has refused to renew my policy. I have subsequently been rejected by multiple insurance carriers, making it impossible to obtain the legally required coverage to operate my vehicle.

I believe GM and OnStar have violated my privacy rights and caused me financial distress. This situation has had a significant negative impact on my ability to drive and maintain my livelihood.

3 REPLIES 3

Advisor_Kayla

As of March 20th, OnStar Smart Driver customer data is no longer being shared with LexisNexis or Verisk. Customer trust is a priority for us, and we are actively evaluating our privacy processes and policies. Prior to this decision, with customer consent, we shared select OnStar Smart Driver insights about driving behavior with LexisNexis and Verisk, third-party telematics exchange companies that work with some insurance carriers. If additional consent was given to an insurance carrier that participated in the LexisNexis or Verisk programs, LexisNexis or Verisk could provide your selected carrier with data to help deliver usage-based insurance benefits. 

You can request a consumer report directly from LexisNexis or Verisk to see what information about you is maintained in their files. 

JWCENGR
New Contributor

I ALONG WITH MILLIONS OF OTHER HAVE SUFFERED THE SAME FATE OF THIS ILLEGAL PRACTICE. THANK YOU RAYANALFAYEZ FOR SHARING THIS INFORMATION. MY QUESTION IS, WHAT DO I DO NEXT TO RECOVER THIS EXTRA EXPENSE? IS THERE AN ATTORNEY REPRESENTING A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? ALL MY LIFE I HAVE PURCHASED GM, BUT NOT BEING INFORMED OR NOTIFIED THAT I WAS BEING TRACKED I WILL NO LONGER PURCHASE A GM VEHICLE. 

We regret to hear these statements and understand your frustration with this concern. Please know, OnStar Smart Driver data is no longer being provided to third-party telematics exchange companies such as LexisNexis and Verisk. Before this choice was made, with customer consent we gave insight about select OnStar Smart Driver information regarding driving habits with third-party telematics. We would like you to know, that at this time, GM is evaluating this claim but has no further information at the moment.