cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My name fields are blank the mobile app, and I believe it's causing issues with family sharing

theelderone
New Contributor

New Bolt owner, from the start I've been unable to use family sharing. When my wife wasn't getting the invitations, I tried sending invites to other email addresses, and those were never received either. When I go to the Family Sharing page, the header at the top says literally "The {{lastName}} Family" instead of "The [my actual last name] Family". When I go into the family sharing activity history, the oldest entry says "Feb 9 2024: The {{familyName}} Group has been created" and on the next line it says "undefined undefined".

When I go into  Account>Personal Details, the first and last name fields are blank and grayed out with a message to contact OnStar if I need to make changes (I'm currently in OnStar trial period). I did contact OnStar earlier today, and they sent me to the App team phone support. Neither were able to update my first and last name because the correct name was already showing on their end. I believe a ticket was opened, but I wanted to post here with additional details. I think it's pretty evident that my first and last names are missing in a database table somewhere and since those fields aren't supposed to be blank, it's causing the family sharing invite-sending process to fail.

4 REPLIES 4

Advisor_Erin

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Are you able to view and edit your account information when logging in at https://www.chevrolet.com/? Please also have your wife attempt to accept the Family Sharing invitation by logging into the website rather than directly through the email. If you need further help after this, please send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with "ATTN: OS Community/theelderone" in the subject line. 

theelderone
New Contributor

When my wife logs in to the website and goes to the Family Sharing page, there is a notification that says "null null invites you to share their 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EV. This invite expires in 4 days. View Invite", but the view invite link just takes her to the page where she can edit her personal information. If she clicks "save" on that page, it just says "Thank you! Your changes have been saved" but it just stays on that page. So, she's not able to actually accept the invite.

Thanks for trying that. Please also log into your account using the website and see if you can edit your account information there to get your name added prior to sending another Family Sharing information. If you still have troubles after this, please send us an email using the address and subject line mentioned above. 

theelderone
New Contributor

Update: After a few more tries, it did eventually take her to the invitation and she was able to accept. So that's working now, but every place on both of our accounts where my name should be is replaced with the variable name in double brackets, (i.e. {{inviterName}}, {{familyName}}). I just sent an email to the address mentioned above and included screenshots of what we're seeing, so hopefully that will assist in troubleshooting.

I'm not able to update my name myself because those boxes are grayed out and it says if my name is incorrect I have to call Onstar to have them fix it.  Onstar was not able to update it because it was already displaying correctly on their end.  Everything seems to be working well enough and my wife now has access to the car on her app, so it's really just a cosmetic issue at this point.