cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 2025 Buick Encore GX 8 year OnStar Free

Jxnewt
New Contributor

I just purchased a 2025 Buick Encore GX four days ago. I am working on learning the instruction book and the new features of the vehicle.  MSRP sticker says "8 years ONSTAR One Essentials. See Onstar.com for details."  The website does not show OnStar One Essentials, as OnStar has changed that name.  The plan is now called "OnStar Basics".  Here is explanation provided: "For MY25 vehicles, OnStar Basics (previously known as OnStar One Essentials) is included for 8 years with your vehicle purchase. OnStar Basics provides built-in voice assistance for hands-free help on the road and real-time traffic and navigation. Better control with the convenience of controlling your vehicle from anywhere with remote commands. Plus, Automatic Crash Response will quickly connect and send help if you need it. Now you can feel more connected on and off the road with core OnStar services."  My Buick account shows that I have two Onstar plans that were issued when I purchased the 2025 Buick:  OnStar Basics and Connected Access.  It also shows that I have a 30 day free trial of OnStar Premium.  The OnStar Premium has some nice features, but due to limitations of my radio, I can't benefit from in-vehicle apps.  So.... I just want to know why Buick is showcasing OnStar Premium as a trial, when most of the features are not compatible with my vehicle. The OnStar salesperson in the Welcome Call asked me to consider signing up for that plan, without checking to see if my vehicle is compatible.  Bottom line:  All I want to know is this:  Will the Turn by Turn Navigation that I now have be available after the 30 day trial of Premium?  I think it is included in OnStar Basics, but after numerous contacts with the OnStar chat, I am not impressed with the knowledge of the representatives because they do not seem to know what is included with OnStar Basics.  One rep said all I get is Connected Access Plan, which only includes a few maintenance notifications, interior motion detector and vehicle diagnostics.  I hope that is not true, as my hope is that the OnStar Basics would also be included.  Does anyone have insight into this?  I  don't want to use the SmartPhone in the vehicle for navigation , I just want to use what is available by pressing the OnStar Button and asking for the directions and have the map show up on the center screen.  I did it once, and it can be done, but I am not sure if it will go away after the 30 day Premium Plan trial.  Thanks for whatever assistance is given.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Advisor_Helen

We do appreciate your question and regret to hear of any previous miscommunications with our live Advisors. To further clarify, the OnStar Basics Plan does include Automatic Crash Response and remote commands. Please know, Turn-by-Turn Navigation is not an included feature of the OnStar Basics Plan. To learn more about what OnStar services are included with your 2025 model year vehicle purchase, you can log in to your account for information about the services and terms included with a new retail purchase in the U.S. With this, OnStar Basics does provide built-in voice assistance for hands-free help on the road and real-time traffic and navigation. While Turn-By-Turn Navigation is a feature included within our Safety & Security Plan and Preferred Plan, the OnStar Basics Plan includes Google Maps and Google Assistant, Alexa Built-in, Maps+ and Waze. With this, if you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know. We are here to help. 

View solution in original post

Jxnewt
New Contributor

Thank you Helen.  I appreciate your answer.  I will re-visit the onstar web site for clarification, because I am wondering what the difference is between Turn by Turn not being available with the OnStar Basics plan, yet you said "OnStar Basics does provide built-in voice assistance for hands-free help on the road and real-time traffic and navigation."  So I am wondering if I want real-time traffic and/or navigation,which is available on Basics, would that not be the same as Turn by Turn?  The challenge for me is for a tentative new subscriber, there are many OnStar terms that sound like a Turn by Turn product, and I need to become familiar with those nuances before I subscribe to a particular plan.  The Basic Plan including Google Maps and Alexa Built-in, Maps+ and Waze sounds wonderful, however, I did ask for those apps when I contacted and OnStar, and was advised that those options are not available to me, as the OnStar rep advised me that my VIN radio/infotainment is not able to have Apps added to it, as other Buick vehicles, such as the Enclave are.  Thanks again for your response.

Not a problem. Our team is more than happy to help with any service-related questions. With this, you can visit https://www.onstar.com/standard-content to learn more about your OnStar Basics Plan and https://www.onstar.com/services/navigation to learn more about OnStar navigational services. 

To provide a better understanding of Turn-by-Turn Navigation, OnStar will calculate the requested route and send the steps directly to your vehicle. With this, an arrow and written directions for the next turn will display. In the case of an Advisor Guided Route, the advisor reads the steps to the Member and the route does not display in the vehicle. Please know, real-time traffic and navigation are available through in-vehicle apps such as Maps+ and Waze. We do understand that you were previously told your Enclave is unable to connect with in-vehicle apps. Moving forward, we are here to further explore any additional options alongside you. If you would like our assistance, kindly email socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: OnStar Community/Jxnewt in the subject headline. We hope to hear from you. 

3 REPLIES 3

Advisor_Helen

We do appreciate your question and regret to hear of any previous miscommunications with our live Advisors. To further clarify, the OnStar Basics Plan does include Automatic Crash Response and remote commands. Please know, Turn-by-Turn Navigation is not an included feature of the OnStar Basics Plan. To learn more about what OnStar services are included with your 2025 model year vehicle purchase, you can log in to your account for information about the services and terms included with a new retail purchase in the U.S. With this, OnStar Basics does provide built-in voice assistance for hands-free help on the road and real-time traffic and navigation. While Turn-By-Turn Navigation is a feature included within our Safety & Security Plan and Preferred Plan, the OnStar Basics Plan includes Google Maps and Google Assistant, Alexa Built-in, Maps+ and Waze. With this, if you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know. We are here to help. 

Jxnewt
New Contributor

Thank you Helen.  I appreciate your answer.  I will re-visit the onstar web site for clarification, because I am wondering what the difference is between Turn by Turn not being available with the OnStar Basics plan, yet you said "OnStar Basics does provide built-in voice assistance for hands-free help on the road and real-time traffic and navigation."  So I am wondering if I want real-time traffic and/or navigation,which is available on Basics, would that not be the same as Turn by Turn?  The challenge for me is for a tentative new subscriber, there are many OnStar terms that sound like a Turn by Turn product, and I need to become familiar with those nuances before I subscribe to a particular plan.  The Basic Plan including Google Maps and Alexa Built-in, Maps+ and Waze sounds wonderful, however, I did ask for those apps when I contacted and OnStar, and was advised that those options are not available to me, as the OnStar rep advised me that my VIN radio/infotainment is not able to have Apps added to it, as other Buick vehicles, such as the Enclave are.  Thanks again for your response.

Not a problem. Our team is more than happy to help with any service-related questions. With this, you can visit https://www.onstar.com/standard-content to learn more about your OnStar Basics Plan and https://www.onstar.com/services/navigation to learn more about OnStar navigational services. 

To provide a better understanding of Turn-by-Turn Navigation, OnStar will calculate the requested route and send the steps directly to your vehicle. With this, an arrow and written directions for the next turn will display. In the case of an Advisor Guided Route, the advisor reads the steps to the Member and the route does not display in the vehicle. Please know, real-time traffic and navigation are available through in-vehicle apps such as Maps+ and Waze. We do understand that you were previously told your Enclave is unable to connect with in-vehicle apps. Moving forward, we are here to further explore any additional options alongside you. If you would like our assistance, kindly email socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: OnStar Community/Jxnewt in the subject headline. We hope to hear from you.