cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The WiFi Hotspot speed is absolutely horrible

blue_canyon21
New Contributor II

I get that nowhere on the site or in any promotional material does it say that the hotspot speeds are meant to be high speeds. But, if I'm paying $25/month for it, it should be better than .5Mbps.

I can't even download a 100kb Excel file let alone stream anything from any streaming platform. Even Pandora has trouble streaming audio on the lowest quality setting.

I've called support and they have "reset" things and said, "It should be better now. If not, give it a few days." Well, it's been a few days and 3 more calls to support and guess what... WiFi still sucks.

This is my last resort to get GM/OnStar to do anything about this. Obviously, I'm not the only one with this issue.

29 REPLIES 29

Advisor_Kaitlyn

Our live Advisors are best equipped to test and resolved any concerns with slow Wi-Fi. Multiple devices, location, and and overhead obstacles are all factors that can effect download speeds. While you have already spoken with your live Advisors, we recommend doing so once more by pushing your blue OnStar button.

John62
New Contributor II

Ya, I feel like a real sucker paying for WiFi hotspot.  It's fine for keeping up with email in the back ground, but if I want to visit any site that has video embedded, I have to turn off wifi and use my phone's cell service.  Makes no sense since my phone uses the same provider as OnStar.  I have called several times from my vehicle and they have never been able to get any improvement in in my hotspot.  I'll get over 40Mb with my phone connected to cell network, but when I connect to my Cadillac hotspot it is less than 1Mb.  I think someone should hold OnStar accountable for false advertising.  They suggest better service with the hotspot because bigger antenna and better power (car battery/engine).  It's a joke. I'm really sick and tired of them using "Multiple devices, location, and and overhead obstacles are all factors that can effect download speeds" as an excuse since the cell phone, shielded by the car roof, on its own blows the doors off the hotspot.

blue_canyon21
New Contributor II

Yeah, I'll push the blue button again... but only to get a refund. The part that bothers me is that my wife's Trailblazer sitting next to my truck gets almost 25Mbps. So I know it's possible to get good speeds out of it.

SK
New Contributor III

Be careful - they may remove your services without you asking. I bought a 2022 Yukon Denali and am REQUIRED to use connected services for navigation and the "really cool" features associated with Google Auto platform. It was a huge selling point as I am a tech geek, but the data service continues to get removed. So, I now have a very fancy center screen that serves as a radio. No navigation or any of the other connected features. For a ~$90k vehicle, it shouldn't be this hard. 

SK
New Contributor III

Funny story about that "blue button." When they cancelled my service, the Blue Button could be pressed, but no one would answer. I had to call in via phone to get basic service re-established. Now I am being told that I need to wait 3-5 days for someone to get back to me with a resolution. Great service, as you are well aware!

AndyVegas
New Contributor

SAME!!

The “4G LTE” service provided by OnStar through AT&T is HORRIBLE!! 
But I can even use the weather app without it. I have a 2019 Colorado. I have called to report the shitty coverage multiple times and OnStar does not take it serious at all. They said they opened an escalated ticket but I never heard back. I’m thinking of moving away from Chevy for my next vehicle purchase.

SK
New Contributor III

Newest update…my local dealer cannot “work” on the issue as it is subscription related. Basically told me to pound sand. So the selling dealer offered to come get it. Sure, let me put 300 miles on my new vehicle for them to do nothing but call the helpless line of Onstar. So I called Onstar again and tried to be very diplomatic. Told me they cannot help as I’ve now been elevated to executive relations and have to call between 8-6 M-F. Like you said; next vehicle will not be a GM brand. Good luck everyone!

tricon23
New Contributor II

I have had up to 90 meg down with a good cell signal in my 2022 Equinox. With one bar I still get about 5 meg down.

mnfaraj
New Contributor

On-star is similar to a prepaid phone line, they maybe using the same network as At&t but you do not get the same benefits as AT&T. (try running a speedtest, speedtest,neet and see what the service is being provided by, probably Zayo) The only way to get the full benefits of On-star is to port the number over from onstar to AT&T.  Press the blue button ask for the phone number associated with your on star and than call AT&T and port the number over.