cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnStar Link

unionrep500
New Contributor

Is anyone else incensed that for 2013 vehicles using 2g technology, OnStar's "fix" is to use a module which eliminates the three button mirror functionality, and the ability to download maps directly to your navigation unit in the vehicle???  This is unacceptable.  I rely on those services daily for a vehicle that is not even 10 years old.   

2013 Cadillac Escalade ESV.
10 REPLIES 10

u600213
New Contributor

I am appreciative that GM / Onstar will provide the Onstar Link OBD2 dongle at no charge.  Apropos of 2G shutdown, Generac wants to charge me $249 to upgrade my whole house generator from 2G to 4GLTE for its Mobilibnk Remote monitoring.  So by comparison,  at least GM is trying. Regarding the 3 buttons on the mirror, I would obviously prefer if they were still functional. I might not renew Onstar depending on how the Onstar Link actually works in real life once I have it.

I did install the Onstar Gaurdian app on my Android phone, and I do not like that the app requires that location be turned on even when not using the app.

Jaguarcult
New Contributor

Absolute BS.  We’re paying a PREMIUM PRICE for a service that a clear majority of rarely use and GMs solution is to send us an OBD2 bung?  What poor engineering, what lack of imagination.  Some of us have rare ‘imports’ like me.  I have a ( last of the Pontiacs) G8 GT, I’d be happy to preserve the full on star functionality by maybe replacing the interior mirror.  But FMV was discontinued.  genius GM.  I am very likely to discontinue OnStar Service if this is Really GMs solution.

jhardis
New Contributor

I agree. And an alternative does exist: Having a dealer service department swap out the Telematics Communication Module with a later version that supports at least OnStar Generation 10 (4G LTE). (The module goes by different names in different models, such as Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM), Communication Interface Module, Telematics Communication Interface Control Module, OnStar Vehicle Interface Unit (VIU), and OnStar Module.)

This is what GM did for Canadian customers in 2015, when Bell Mobility turned off their 2G network. The hardware and procedures exist.  https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10166666-9999.pdf.

After 8 years, I’m not expecting GM to give me a free upgrade.  I’d be happy to pay a few hundred dollars. What really p*sses me off is that this service is not available at all. You can’t buy a replacement VCIM even if you wanted to. GM has a year to solve the logistics challenge of making enough to satisfy consumer demand. They should ensure such parts availability for the customary 10 years.

Rod_Iron
New Contributor

I recently took a copy of that Canadian bulletin to my dealer, and they didn't know Jack about it and nobody else seemed to know either. This seems like a simple solution, but GM doesn't seem to be interested.

Robarino
New Contributor

Do you people understand there is an ongoing global microchip shortage?  GM cannot get the parts to do the hardware swaps like they did in Canada 6 years ago, long before Covid or any of the current global issues happened.   Maybe instead of getting upset with GM for things that are out of their control, get mad at the FCC and the wireless companies for deciding to mandate a shutdown of the 3G/2G services right in the middle of a global pandemic and supply shortage.

jhardis
New Contributor

I take issue with the “global microchip shortage” excuse. GM made the corporate decision to go with the cheap remedy of an OBD port dongle long before there was an such shortage. And neither would it preclude a proper response of promising to procure (from their suppliers) a sufficient number of replacement telematics modules to allow customers the option of paying for a full upgrade, as soon as parts become available. Let’s get real—upgraded telematics modules are already designed, and the installation procedures are already documented, as they were for the remedy in Canada.

13camaroRS
New Contributor III

Chip shortage is a BS excuse. If that was true, then all vehicle production would come to a grinding halt, and it has NOT.  No one like a paid shill troll.

ithrowbirds
New Contributor

Chip shortage <> Chip extinction.  Even less of an excuse when they had way longer then the pandemic to address the issue.  I thought the OBD was silently taken off the table though.

Guy
New Contributor III

The message I got through chat with OnStar this morning can be simplified thusly: "You're screwed." No dongle, no connector, no NOTHING except a ridiculous excuse for an app for which they want to charge a $15 monthly fee. The Guardian app appears to do nothing to distinguish itself from the apps insurance companies offer (outside of the monthly cost).

One would think, considering the fact that most cars and light trucks on the road today are about 12 years old, and that used vehicle sales are 70% of total car sales in the US (see the data on the Bureau of Transportation Statistics website), they'd at least APPEAR to care about their customers with older cars.