cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Hotspot, No Connection to Internet

dilburrito
New Contributor

I have a 2022 Chevy Silverado, bought the thing used awhile back. The WiFi Hotspot has never worked, basically it will allow a device to join but does not actually route to the internet.

I have had several other Chevy/GMC trucks where the WiFi/Onstar stuff worked fine, so I know it's possible.

I have called onstar several times, today for the forth time to work out this problem. It is always exactly the same thing. Forget the network, leave the truck with the door open for a few minutes, jump through some other hoops. It always ends with, we have to open a ticket for their other support guys and they will call me back to let me know when the problem is fixed.

Crickets... NEVER a call back, we have confirmed the call back number every time. From the customer service perspective this is pretty disgusting, make a commitment to a customer and fail to follow up on a service that has been paid for but non-operable.

Every time the phone support guys focus on the toggle switch for "Share Hotspot Data" and the fact that it's impossible to toggle on, I'll attach a picture if the forum permits.

Anyone know what that does or why it is there? The owners manual says nothing about this toggle. Maybe it's the problem but it makes no sense. Why would anyone want to toggle the ability to route to the Internet (or any other network) if you have already allowed the WiFi connection? Why would you connect in the first place if you didn't intend to go somewhere?

Anyway, other network based apps work OK, Pandora, MyGMC, Weather, etc. Some kind of data routing is happening somehow, just not on WiFi.

Anyone have any idea how to get WiFi routing to the net? Anyone know what the definition of this toggle switch is? Anyone know how to get past the first line guys and talk to someone who knows something?hotspot.jpg

24 REPLIES 24

Advisor_Tia

This is certainly not the experience we strive for our Members to have. So that we can take the time to look into your in-vehicle Wi-Fi concerns further on our end, kindly send an email with additional details and subject line “ATTN: OnStar Community/dilburrito” to our team at socialmedia@gm.com. 

dilburrito
New Contributor

Email to socialmedia@gm.com sent Feb 15 @ 7:19AM.  I'll be really interested to see where this goes.

sb
New Contributor II

Same issue on a brand new 2023 Silverado ZR2, only 45 days old since purchase. Onstar has opened a case, sent a bunch of signals, not working at all. Frustrating.

The Onstar support reps always focus on the "Share Hotspot Data" setting that is impossible to toggle on. Jumped through the exact same hoops as described above... nothing.

I read other forums that said maybe removing & replacing the Onstar fuse will reset everything, but I cannot find documentation on where the fuse is located. Does anyone know?? Please help!

We do regret to hear of this continued trouble. Our team here is happy to take a further look into things and assist to the best of our abilities. Moving forward, kindly send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with "ATTN: OnStar Community/sb" in the subject line.

Steve82
New Contributor

I am having the same issue on my 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV. Connection to WIFI works fine. No connection to the internet at all. I have opened an Onstar support ticket. Really need this for my trip comming up.

If you currently have a case open with our OnStar Internal Technical Team, we would be more than happy to take a further look into things and see where we may assist. Moving forward, kindly send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with "ATTN: OnStar Community/Steve82" in the subject line. We are happy to help to the best of our abilities. 

PMiller96
New Contributor

I am also having this issue with my 2017 Chevrolet Volt. OnStar was more helpful for me, but was ultimately unable to solve the issue and said I'd have to bring it to the dealer.

Which I did, but the dealer told me they'd need to hold onto my car for two weeks before they could diagnose it, then it'd be another two weeks to fix it. So basically, the dealership here holds your car for a month for any repair. No thank you.

On my own, I tried removing the fuse to no avail and even unplugging the VCIM for a while and plugging it back in to no avail. Any help on this would be appreciated. If I do need to replace the VCIM, which looks like a super under five minute job, I'd like to do it myself rather than be without my car for a month.

Mbreeding
New Contributor

Same exact thing I went through. I’ve had the hotspot since May 2021 and not once has it been able to actually worked. I’ve called numerous times and same thing, blah blah blah here’s a ticket, wait for a call back then radio silence. I’ve read a ton of people are dealing with this issue and no fix. Pretty embarrassing…

If you continue to have any concerns with your in-vehicle Wi-Fi, our team here can take a further look into your account details. We would be more than happy to help in any way that we can. If interested, kindly email us at socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: OnStar Community/Mbreeding in the subject headline.