Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2G end and pushing the App as a replacement

TNmomcat22
New Contributor

2 REPLIES 2

TNmomcat22
New Contributor

I own a 2008 Yukon and have actually used the "button" for an accident that wasn't enough to set off the airbag alert, plus directions. The "push" to download and use the app is almost worthless in areas that have poor cell service and/or gaps in satellite reception. Which is what I'm faced with in rural middle Tennessee. I'm so disappointed. Why keep the service if the button is going to be useless and the alternative not reliable? STOP trying to force the "app". Not everyone has a cell phone connected to the web - especially in rural areas. Sometimes a phone is just a phone. Having read that Canada vehicles were retrofitted why not US cars?  What's your reasoning for this? And as others have pointed out, the 2G technology has been outdated since before even my truck was built. Shame on you GM. Considering the millions being spent in this area to built the Ultium plant, the additional traffic that's causing congestion you could do better by Tennessee at least.

Your frustrations are certainly understood. Please know that Canada decommissioned 2G networks in 2015. At that time, the OnStar Guardian app wasn’t available, the semiconductor chip shortage had not happened, and the age of impacted vehicles and total vehicle volume was different than the situation in the U.S. Additionally, we have explored several options to manage the transition. Due to a variety of factors, including semiconductor chip and other component supply shortages, there is no feasible option to replace the hardware. We encourage owners with 2G-connected vehicles to download the OnStar Guardian app and save 1.888.466.7827 in their phone’s contact list. If you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to email socialmedia@gm.com with the subject line as 'ATTN: OnStar Community/TNmomcat22' so we may reference back to this post.