cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petition GM to Upgrade 2G-Equipped Vehicles

JasonDog3
New Contributor III

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Colorado truck. I have been a loyal GM guy for years, and have paid monthly to OnStar for many years. It's an absolute disgrace that OnStar and GM will not offer a free hardware upgrade to all of our vehicles. They could surely afford this, and it would be a good gesture to their customers who have supported them for many decades.  

I had a long conversation with one of the OnStar representatives two days ago about this matter. She told me the Guardian App would not be able to locate my truck if it had been stolen without my cell phone still being in the truck. What good is that? What if my truck gets stolen in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping in my house with my phone in the house?  Furthermore, the Representative said OnStar would not be able to unlock my doors if I had locked the keys inside the truck and did not have my phone with me. What a waste this Guardian application is going to be.  I told the Representative to cancel my OnStar subscription after the 2G Sunset.

GM's failure to upgrade our vehicles is bad business, and it's a failure to care about PUBLIC SAFETY!

I have started a petition: https://chng.it/XmcQdNtr

12 REPLIES 12

jpascual
New Contributor

signed! i agree 100%, this is unacceptable. even subaru is replacing heads units. i've been a long time onstar customer and have 2 cars affected by this! the reason i got onstar was to not be 100% reliant on my cellphone. but now i will be. the app can't remote unlock my cars or stop and locate them if stolen. the reasons i got the service in the first please.

CJ
New Contributor

Signed. I have 2 vehicles being affected by this. I guess I'll just cancel. It's not like it's been useful lately. The directions are wrong, the system disconnects. It's gotten quite shoddy.

Aceluvjay67
New Contributor II

Signed!!! I will be cancelling my OnStar at the end of December. I just bought my car a year ago because of the features it has now I’m losing all of them! I will be damned if I pay a penny when I won’t be able to use my key fob, remote start or even gps. Shame on GM and OnStar for not caring about their customers. 9k down the drain for this car I’m pissed!!!!

fescobej
New Contributor

I just found out today what a mess this has been.  I was a die hard fan of the My Buick app and used it daily until it stopped working earlier this year.  No more diagnostic readings, air pressure or ability to start my vehicle directly from the app.  I was told about the Guardian app and I agree, its a waste of money.  I'm also upset that a behemoth of a company like GM can't do good for their customers and upgrade their vehicles hardware.  I don't plan on selling my 2014 anytime soon but when I do, I will think twice before buying GM again. 

Your frustrations are certainly understood regarding the sunset of 2G Network Services impacting OnStar services. We do encourage Members to download the OnStar Guardian App as an alternative to maintain access to crucial Safety & Security Services. The Guardian App allows access to features such as Mobile Crash Response, Roadside Assistance, and Emergency Services. You can also share this experience with up to 7 family members or friends, as well as view and share each Member's Location Status. You can find more information about the 2G network sunset on the following page: https://www.onstar.com/us/en/support/2g-network-sunset 

Jrazzante
New Contributor

I also agree. I discovered only recently that by re-purchasing my on-star subscription I would be able to use these wonderful features. The remote start usually is hit or miss with the key fob so it would be… sorry would HAVE been very nice to ensure that my vehicle had started. Especially because I live in Ohio so it takes an extra 20 minutes to warm up if the fob fails. Just another reason to dump a Chevy in my option. I will probably purchase from a manufacturer that is better know for reliability. Or at least takes care of its loyal customers to keep them coming back, unlike the companies of GM apparently… costs the same as something built to last but you never get what you payed for with these forced downgrades.

We would hate to see you leave the GM family. Our team would be happy to look into these concerns you're having with the Remote Key Fob feature of your mobile app. As an initial troubleshooting step, we do recommend that you uninstall/reinstall your app. This will ensure that you're using the latest most up to date version. If this doesn't work for you, please send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with your subject line as ‘ATTN: OnStar Community/Jrazzante’  so we may further assist. We'll keep an eye out for your response. 

MrSilverATS
New Contributor II

I'm considering calling an attorney. I wonder if a class action is possible on this. This feature was a huge reason behind buying this vehicle. I used my remote start through the app literally a minimum of three times a day. It's hot where I live. This is why I bought this car (2013 ATS Premium) so I don't have to get into a hot vehicle. I can not use the key fob from inside my job, upstairs where I can't see if the remote is reaching the vehicle, or from inside a restaurant etc....I would even consider paying for a fix but not offering one at all just is not right.

Aceluvjay67
New Contributor II

OnStar was also the reason I bought my suv not even a year and a half ago. With the app I was able to start my car omw back to my job and my car would be warm by time I got there. now I have to be close to see if the key fob started it or not. I know the sales man had to have known this was going to happen and didn’t bother to tell me anything, it was all about the money. 
I know if anyone did get a lawyer involved in how we all been ripped off and discarded like we didn’t matter I would definitely back that up. I cancelled of course because I wouldn’t pay a penny to just have a app that is more n less useless. We also lost gps which is bs