cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Key Fob

kmhunz
New Contributor

I was on a chat with a representative from OnStar last week, and they said that the key fobs and auto start won't work anymore. How is this connected to the 2G issue? Aren't the key fobs controlled by radio frequency chips? Why won't the key fob work anymore?

3 REPLIES 3

Advisor_Carol

Hi there. Vehicles affected by the 2G network shut down will no longer be able to utilize the Remote Key Fob feature from the mobile app as of December 31st, 2022. Members will still be able to utilize the Remote Start feature using their physical key fob moving forward.

Aceluvjay67
New Contributor II

Thank you for answering Kmhunz question because I was also concerned about the key fob and thankfully we can still use it outside of the app because I was worried I would have to waste money to get a new remote starter in. But do want to say it’s very sad that you and GM are leaving us in the dust like we don’t matter, if Canada can do the upgrade then y’all should be able to do it as well. I would of NEVER bought this car a little over a year ago if I knew this was going to happen losing some of our features 

Your frustrations are certainly understood. Please know that Canada decommissioned 2G networks in 2015. At that time, the OnStar Guardian app wasn’t available, the semiconductor chip shortage had not happened, and the age of impacted vehicles and total vehicle volume was different than the situation in the U.S. If you have any additional questions regarding the sunset of 2G OnStar services, please visit https://www.onstar.com/support/faq/2g-network-sunset.