cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G2

MeMe
New Contributor

I have a 2014 Cadillac SRX that is a great car. My OnStar just got shut off and I was told that they could not turn it back on because it is 2G. Also the 2G was not going to be off until sometime in December. 
‘It is strange that other vehicles that are not GM are going to have the updates. All the good GM vehicles still on the road that are good vehicles. 
‘Hopefully GM will have a fix, the App is not the fix. They could do the update when we take the car to the dealer for service. 
MeMe

4 REPLIES 4

ljschoepke
Contributor

This seems to be very poor design/planning by GM/Chevrolet that 2G vehicles can't be upgraded. 

KurtM
New Contributor III

@ljschoepke oh, but they can (could) be upgraded.  GM/OnStar already did that in Canada years ago (circa 2015) when 2G got dropped there.  They have just elected to not provide the same 4G LTE hardware upgrade to US customers and went the lazy route with an ineffective mobile phone app (Guardian) that does not provide any Remote features (which is why we all went with OnStar in the first place).  Here's a link to a discussion in 2015 about the hardware upgrade in Canada.  Oh and by the way, I in no way expect GM to do a paid upgrade to 4G LTE on my 2012 Cadillac.  However, I would gladly pay out-of-pocket for the upgrade myself if GM made it available (again).

https://www.terrainforum.net/threads/onstar-announces-how-2g-to-4g-hardware-update-will-be-handled.9...

DaveM
New Contributor

I would like to share my dissatisfaction in the in ability to upgrade to a 4G modem and continue remote connectivity services. 

I work for a company that we do provide ongoing up grade of the MTG tellematics modems at very minimal cost to the owner and allows for continued access. 
You should not have to trade vehicles just to keep in current technology!! Allow customers to upgrade the technology if they so choose, don’t just turn it off early- Sept when you said December and give no upgrade options!! That’s very poor customer life cycle management of the product.

KurtM
New Contributor III

And so on Thanksgiving Day, after enjoying a fabulous meal at my daughter's house, I used the myCadillac app on my phone to remote start my car and warm it up before braving the elements and the cold -- or so I thought I would. My Remote Start button was gone from my app. Fearing the worst, I went out and got into my car and saw that the OnStar light was dark. Yes, that's right, GM sent me a Thanksgiving present and while I was eating dinner and giving thanks, they disconnected my OnStar on my 2012 Cadillac.

I knew it was coming and yet just the same I was pissed off. On Thanksgiving Day GM? Way to rub salt into the wound! Here's the funny thing (well, maybe one day it will seem funny). I pushed my OnStar button out of frustration and anger (and may have even used my middle finger to push it) and imagine my shock when I hear the OnStar voice advising me to push it again if I wanted to connect my car to the OnStar service (or something to that effect). Now intrigued, because apparently I still had 2G CDMA service since my car was able to remotely figure out that it had been disconnected, I pushed the OnStar button again and found myself connected to and speaking with an OnStar advisor!

I explained to the nice person on the other end that the reason for my call was that I was confused about the situation. I had just entered my vehicle and found my OnStar service disconnected, yet here I was using the 2G CDMA OnStar network to speak with her. She politely asked me to hold on while she looked up my account details (apparently she could still get her system to find me) and verified that this was regarding the 2012 Cadillac. She then asked if I was aware that GM was being forced to switch the owners of older vehicles.to their Guardian App. I said I was and that it was my understanding that it would happen in DECEMBER 2022, not on Thanksgiving Day in NOVEMBER.

She apologized and said that GM has already been rolling out the disconnections. I asked how it was that she and I were able to still talk through the OnStar button. I mean obviously, 2G CDMA hadn't disappeared yet. She said that the ability to speak to an OnStar Advisor was the last thing that GM would disconnect -- on December 31, 2022.

As we ended the call, she asked if there was anything else she could help me with -- and I replied "Besides saying goodbye to an estimated 1.5 million OnStar customers and their revenue? Yeah, tell me when GM is going to offer a hardware solution that I can purchase to upgrade my 2G CDMA OnStar module to a 4G LTE version." Of course, there was no solution to offer. Happy Thanksgiving GM.

P.S. Here's a petition that I encourage you to sign if that pissed you off as well (takes less than 4 minutes) -- https://chng.it/f8JmG4yxvY