cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onstar Removing Services (what are paying for)

dml6
New Contributor

So just got the email that OnStar is removing the Market Place feature.  So in the last 2 years they have removed the following:

1) The stored name and phone number feature.

2) They removed the phone calling feature. I lost almost 500 minutes.

3) Now the Market Place is being removed.

So what are we paying for? Are new features going to be added? Will get new or more apps to use? 

I have been using OnStar since February of 2012 that is 9 years! OnStar has changed removed features and options ever since.  So the argument will be we are still paying the same price as before. But no we are overall paying more for less features.  So what is next?? removing the music apps?? 

9 REPLIES 9

dml6
New Contributor

Well I can not add its not 11 years it only 9 years using Onstar.

SK
New Contributor III

Just more of the "features" you get by being a PAYING customer of OnStar. I bought a brand new Yukon Denali ~1 month ago. My PRE-PAID unlimited services, which are required for the in-vehicle navigation system to work since it is now Android Auto powered, were removed and GM/OnStar has show 0.000 care, concern or ability to resolve the issue. Soon, the trial period will end for the services they added back as a stop-gap and I will be left without connectivity without 2+ more hours talking to OS via the Blue Button. 

Think of this...if you NEEDED these services for crash response or emergency situations, is this the level of support you want to rely on?

JorgySr
New Contributor

You can get better service by buying a GOOD GPS Unit and a CELL PHONE with NATION-WIDE Calling Plan. On-Star lost me after 15 yrs when they lost the phone service!

williamskye
New Contributor II

OnStar was the PREMIERE and MODEL service for other car companies who have now come in and developed BETTER services for their clients! I am disappointed that to be the framework for others that they are dropping the ball on increasing the services that are provided. The app is not worth it, if you have an iPhone you can share your location with people (whats the point)...but more importantly they haven't figured out how to UPGRADE individuals from 2G with a patch or dropping your car off in for additional hardware or service. People purchase these vehicles because of these types of conveniences and safety features and then as technology advances they haven't kept up with it and now...here we are on the lower end and for those who won't have access being left with no solutions!

SK
New Contributor III

End result is that Onstar is garbage. Remove the “feature” altogether and be done with it. The new android auto is bad on its best day. Slow, doesn’t even hold presets and will be glitchy more often than not. 3 months, 4K miles and I want to trade my $95k Yukon Denali without parking sensors or rear seat entertainment. Good luck!

Guy
New Contributor III

OnStar has abandoned us. Clear and simple. They could have implemented a solution to address the 2G sundown, but chose not to. In December of last year, an OnStar rep told me to watch for an announcement in March (2022) for a converter to mitigate the end of 2G... somewhere along the way they decided not to do that. This was a decision I will remember for a long time, friends. OnStar's decision has tarnished the GM collection of brands for me. I don't yet know if their Guardian app is a bigger slap in the face than not -- it doesn't appear to represent any particular value above the other apps offered by insurance companies and so forth; I don't understand how they can justify charging customers a $15 monthly fee for it.

billpennock
New Contributor

I got Onstar on my then new 2004 Chevy Avalanche and my 2006 Cadillac CTS-V.  I wanted it as I was getting to middle age and overweight so was at a bit of risk of a heart attack.  I tried the phone and those were the days before bluetooth phone connection with the car so it was nice to have handsfree but the cost compared to using the phone in speaker mode was astronomical and the fact that the minutes you PAID for expired with no compensation made them an even bigger rip off.  So I cancelled that but kept the emergency services.  So I was on the freeway about 8 years later and felt chest pain.  I hit the button and got to onstar and they were sending out EMT's.  I waited and waited and waited.  Eventually an officer stopped and asked me if I needed assistance.  I told him I was waiting as on-star had supposedly called the potential emergency in.  By then I was feeling better.  The policeman made some calls and found out that they had been sent to the wrong location!!!!!!!   Seriously.  They finally arrived about 20 minutes or  more after the call. They said that happens frequently and to use the cell phone because they can home in on that to find me.  Unbelievable.  I cancelled right away and vowed never to use it again as it promises the world, charging you the world, and then fails to deliver.  I'm about to kill XM as well as they are so hard to keep track of my subscriptions and with CarPlay I can get a music service on the phone and have it in all my cars or even use Pandora for free.  These subscriptions are getting ridiculous.  I wonder when they will turn leasing into a subscription car use service?  

billpennock
New Contributor

Guy, Speaking of tarnishing the GM Brand I leased a Lexus and bought an Audi each for about 1/2 that I paid for my 3LT Corvette.  Both of them have all the remote keyfob and status checks visible from their apps but at first GM wanted me to pay for Onstar to get the same stuff.  I got the first month at 14.99 but then found out on the GMRewards site I could pay for a subscription with the points I got for the Corvette and that will get me about 4 years free.  So that calmed me down a bit but I had to diligently search for that option on chats. Onstar would not tell me about it at all.  So... I love my Corvette and it's not tarnished for me but I don't think I will continue to be the GM person I've been for most of the last 50 years.

We do appreciate you sharing your OnStar experience, Bill. Regardless of subscription status, our Advisors are trained to assist anyone in serious need of help and connect them to appropriate assistance if necessary when they reach out to us from their OnStar-equipped vehicle. Our team takes your safety and security extremely seriously, and we will be sure to further document your sentiments for internal review. 

Additionally, you can redeem your Rewards points in a variety of ways. For a list of the most up-to-date redeem opportunities, please visit https://www.mygmrewards.com/redeem. If you have other questions, or would like to share any feedback, please email socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: OnStar Community/billpennock in the subject headline.