cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade OnStar to 4G/5G

Bleudiesel
New Contributor II

Now it is nearly February 2023 and no notice from GM about upgrading the old 2G to 4G/5G. Don't think it is going to happen. I can guess not enough customers have asked GM to do something. I did see one petition with less than 2k signatures. Not nearly enough to move the General. As noted elsewhere GM did upgrade vehicles in Canada back in 2015. There was a campaign to upgrade existing OnStar customers to 4G for free but if a customer was not signed up for OnStar and wanted the upgrade there was a charge, how much I don't know as I was an OnStar customer.

However I did find the campaign information complete with part numbers. This TSB has been deleted from GM website but is available here;

SB-10089229-2280.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

Service Bulletin Date: June, 2016

Bulletin No.: 15-08-44-001H June,2016 Page 3 Part Ordering Process and Hardware Installation - New Unsold Vehicles on Dealers Lot 1. Dealers will automatically receive OnStar® hardware upgrade kits for affected dealer new vehicle inventory beginning spring 2015. Note: Not all upgrade modules will be available at program launch, modules will be release for dealer

static.nhtsa.gov

Notes:

SB-10089229-2280.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

Service Bulletin Date: June, 2016

Bulletin No.: 15-08-44-001H June,2016 Page 3 Part Ordering Process and Hardware Installation - New Unsold Vehicles on Dealers Lot 1. Dealers will automatically receive OnStar® hardware upgrade kits for affected dealer new vehicle inventory beginning spring 2015. Note: Not all upgrade modules will be available at program launch, modules will be release for dealer

static.nhtsa.gov

This shows the part number for the 4G module for various cars. I suspect in fact the module is the same for all cars, what changes is the packaging for sure. In any case if you have connections to auto wreckers in Canada you should be able to order a module. Good luck to us all.

15 REPLIES 15

Bleudiesel
New Contributor II

On another note, I sent two letters to OnStar in Canada to the address still listed on the OnStar subscribers Canada website and both letters were returned. The address is no longer valid and there was no forwarding address.

Onstar Subscriber Services
PO Box 455
Station A
Windsor, N9A 6L7
Canada

This address does not work anymore. No known new Canada address.

Hello, there. Thank you for your post regarding the 2G Sunset. At this time, there is no option to replace older 2G OnStar modules with new 4G-capable OnStar hardware in certain 2015MY and earlier GM vehicles. To help stay connected after the network sunset, owners with 2G-connected vehicles are encouraged to download the OnStar Guardian™ app. This will allow them to take the safety and security of key OnStar services wherever they go. Customers can learn more about the Guardian app solution at onstar.com.  For support with their services, customers can contact an OnStar Advisor by calling 1.888.4ONSTAR.

If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com. We would be happy to further assist. 

MrSilverATS
New Contributor II

I'm considering calling an attorney. I wonder if a class action is possible on this. This feature was a huge reason behind buying this vehicle. I used my remote start through the app literally a minimum of three times a day. It's hot where I live. This is why I bought this car (2013 ATS Premium) so I don't have to get into a hot vehicle. I can not use the key fob from inside my job, upstairs where I can't see if the remote is reaching the vehicle, or from inside a restaurant etc....I would even consider paying for a fix but not offering one at all just is not right.

Your frustrations are certainly understood. Please know, at this time, there is no option to replace older 2G OnStar modules with new 4G-capable OnStar hardware in certain 2015MY and earlier GM vehicles. Owners with 2G-connected vehicles are encouraged to download the OnStar Guardian app and save 1.888.4ONSTAR in their phone’s contact list. The Guardian app provides access to crucial safety features such as Mobile Crash Response, Roadside Assistance, Emergency Services, and Location Status. Additionally, you can share this service with 7 additional loved ones in your "My Family" group. If you would like to learn more about the Sunset of 2G OnStar services and the OnStar Guardian app, we recommend that you visit https://www.onstar.com/us/en/support/2g-network-sunset. 

Bleudiesel
New Contributor II

Mr SilverATS, Blue Diesel here. OnStar did make a new 4G module for your 2013 ATS, but only for Canadian cars as Canada killed 2G/3G in 2015. If you can find an auto wrecker in Canada with an ATS with the new 4G module buy it and your local GM dealer can likely install it. Above I have posted the links for part numbers and the install directions. Do not use Guardian App!  A) it is expensive and does not do what you need, B) if you can settle for an App use LIFE360 or similar App. Good luck!

Canada decommissioned 2G networks in 2015. At that time, the OnStar Guardian app wasn’t available, the semiconductor chip shortage had not happened, and the age of impacted vehicles and total vehicle volume was different than the situation in the U.S. If you have additional concerns, or would like more information about the OnStar Guardian app, please don't hesitate to send us an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the subject line as "ATTN: OnStar Community/Bleudiesel" so we may further assist. 

diggerdegroff
New Contributor III

I want the same upgrade availability that was offered to Canada! Millions of American customers are being screwed by onstar and General Motors! It seems a class action lawsuit is going to be the only way to go, and I am certainly doing all the research I can to find and fund all people with the same issue!

Bleudiesel
New Contributor II

good luck to us all!Let me know how is goes.

diggerdegroff
New Contributor III

Screenshot (427).png

What about the MILLIONS of vehicles on the roads of AMERICA that are missing VITAL ONSTAR SAFETY FEATURES? Service Bulletin No.: 15-08-44-001j (My vehicle for instance is equipped with RPO UE1)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_W6nT8t8MN_qqissDAy3FEkLTq_qN9T9/view?usp=share_link