cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What options are available to Members after the 2G sunset occurs?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our active Members will be able to use key services by calling an OnStar Advisor at 1.888.4ONSTAR. Save our number in your contact list to reach an Advisor at any time and to request services like Roadside Assistance, Crisis Assist, or Emergency Services.

You can access these services, along with Location Status* and Mobile Crash Response, by downloading the OnStar Guardian® app, which is already included in the Safety & Security** and OnStar Guardian Plans. You can even share the Guardian app with up to 7 loved ones*** –– giving the whole family a little peace of mind.

*Service is designed to locate compatible smartphones with Location Services permission enabled. Functionality varies by mobile device and plan. Data rates may apply. Terms and limitations apply. Check here for details and limitations. 

**OnStar plan, working electrical system, cell reception and GPS signal required. OnStar links to emergency services. Check here for details and limitations. OnStar links to emergency services. Not all vehicles may transmit all crash data. Roadside service provided by Allstate Roadside Services for vehicles only. Limitations and restrictions apply. Advisor-based Turn-by-Turn Navigation is subject to Terms and limitations and varies by vehicle model. Map coverage available in U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada. Diagnostic capabilities vary by model and plan. Stolen Vehicle Assistance requires armed GM factory-installed theft-deterrent system, contact method on file and enrollment to receive alerts. Additional messaging and data rates may apply. Services are intended to assist with vehicle recovery and do not prevent theft or protect against damage or loss. OnStar Guardian available on select Apple and Android devices. Mobile Crash Response services are intended for use in select vehicles only and can connect automatically on Android devices only. Service coverage varies with conditions and location. Service availability, features and functionality vary by device and software version. Device data connection and permissions are required for app to operate properly. Device and app may not transmit all crash data. Pricing and availability subject to change. You may cancel at any time by calling 1.888.4ONSTAR (1.888.466.7827). 

***Up to seven additional individuals can be added to the “My Family” section within the app. 

4 REPLIES 4

Numbers71
New Contributor II

Key services defined by whom?  The App doesn't interact with the vehicle, that's the key service. Do something to fix this issue.

Guy
New Contributor III

Yeah. "Key services" does NOT mean the ability to lock or unlock your vehicle. Excerpt from my chat with OnStar this morning:

[Me] at 10:13, Aug 18:
You said: "Once it is disconnected, our active Members will be able to use key services by calling an OnStar Advisor at 1.888.4ONSTAR." How will key services work if you can't communicate with my car?

Kenan at 10:15, Aug 18:
Locking and unlocking your vehicle is not included to the scope of our Guardian App.

Guy
New Contributor III

Hey everybody, read the fine print of the admin's post.

"Mobile Crash Response services are intended for use in select vehicles only and can connect automatically on Android devices only."

I read this to mean that that the feature -- which, let's face it, is completely analogous to what OnStar is FOR, will only work on Android phones and for owners of "select" vehicles. Data from Statista shows that Apple's iOS enjoys a slight majority of smartphone operating systems in the United States. For sake of argument, let's say Android and iOS split the market down the middle, and that a representative population are Guardian subscribers. Only HALF of the subscribers can use Mobile Crash Response -- and that's assuming they have one of the "select" vehicles.

Onstar subscribers with 2G transceivers should consider this when their connections get cut after November.

JasonDog3
New Contributor III

I've started a petition to get our vehicles upgraded: https://chng.it/RqCVdg85xC