cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petition GM to Upgrade 2G-Equipped Vehicles

JasonDog3
New Contributor III

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Colorado truck. I have been a loyal GM guy for years, and have paid monthly to OnStar for many years. It's an absolute disgrace that OnStar and GM will not offer a free hardware upgrade to all of our vehicles. They could surely afford this, and it would be a good gesture to their customers who have supported them for many decades.  

I had a long conversation with one of the OnStar representatives two days ago about this matter. She told me the Guardian App would not be able to locate my truck if it had been stolen without my cell phone still being in the truck. What good is that? What if my truck gets stolen in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping in my house with my phone in the house?  Furthermore, the Representative said OnStar would not be able to unlock my doors if I had locked the keys inside the truck and did not have my phone with me. What a waste this Guardian application is going to be.  I told the Representative to cancel my OnStar subscription after the 2G Sunset.

GM's failure to upgrade our vehicles is bad business, and it's a failure to care about PUBLIC SAFETY!

I have started a petition: https://chng.it/XmcQdNtr

12 REPLIES 12

diggerdegroff
New Contributor III

diggerdegroff
New Contributor III

Boomerang86
New Contributor

This is an unfortunate and frustrating thing. I can imagine the expense and headaches of upgrading hundreds of thousands of vehicles. What's GM going to do about all the telematics data it can no longer access? I hear now they will discontinue Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support in 2024 BC it wants that data back.

Going through a similar predicament with my wife's 2017 VW- they told us an upgrade kit for Car-Net was coming and the launch date keeps getting pushed back. I fear it will never arrive.

Your smartphone is the new gateway now- get ready for in vehicle hotspots to disappear too.