cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G2 I have a 2014 Silverado and a 2008 Avalanche,

GregA
New Contributor

I know the Avalanche cannot be upgraded but here in the United States is there an upgrade for the Silverado? 

When this shuts down, will Onstar still be able to unlock my doors? GPS my truck, or shut my truck down in case it was stolen?

3 REPLIES 3

Advisor_Nicole
Community Manager
Community Manager

At this time, there is no option to replace older 2G OnStar modules with new 4G-capable OnStar hardware in certain 2015MY and earlier GM vehicles. After the 2G sunset, some of your Safety & Security services will remain the same while others will no longer be available. However, Members will still have 24/7 access to OnStar Advisors via 1.888.4ONSTAR and the OnStar Guardian app.

The Guardian app will provide:

• Emergency Services
  • Crisis Assist
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Mobile Crash Response
  • Location Status

You will no longer be connected to:

• Automatic Crash Response
  • Stolen Vehicle Assistance
  • Turn-by-Turn Navigation

For any further questions, please feel free to email us at socialmedia@gm.com with "ATTN: OnStar Community/GregA" in the subject line. We're happy to help.

Bronze15Duramax
New Contributor II

GM could solve this if they VIN unlocked used hardware modules. It would still require a dealer to program the used modules but its an effective workaround. They were doing it back in 2015 with new vehicles that didnt come with wifi in Canada... We US 2015 owners got screwed then, and were getting it again...

I'll be looking at other manufacturers next year when i replace my Sierra.. 

Volkswagen did the same thing, they have Car-Net. We have a 2019 and they shut it down in our Tiguan with no fix as well.. I have been a GM owner for 20+ yrs...no brand loyalty anymore...

hectorg91
New Contributor

Yup, you can do it. Canada GM has all the software and parts needed to update all the 2014+ trucks. You just refuse to do it. Shame