cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2G ending

Mauioo
New Contributor

Why hasn't onstar figured out a way to update 2G with the 5G for onstar-equipped vehicles?

No one should have to rely on an app. in an emergency.  You got people used to the onstar in vehicles and now if one forgets their cell phone they are not safe in a crash or emergency situation.  Thats not right!

What is onstar doing about this issue besides passing the buck to an app?  The service is way too expensive to rely on an app.

16 REPLIES 16

Advisor_Carol

Due to issues created by the semi-conductor shortage, the OnStar Link/Adapter is no longer GM’s solution to the 2G cellular network sunset. Owners with 2G-connected vehicles are encouraged to download the OnStar Guardian app and save 1.888.4ONSTAR in their phone’s contact list. While the OnStar buttons in impacted vehicles will no longer work after the sunset, many services will remain available. OnStar Advisors will continue to provide 24/7 support when Members call 1.888.4ONSTAR or contact us through the OnStar Guardian app. We apologize for the inconvenience, as additional solutions are under investigation. 

williamskye
New Contributor II

The fact that we have to rely on an app for a service that we have paid for is ridiculous! 5G has been something that has been on the horizon for quite some time and the fact that a global company like GM cant figure out how to provide an update and/or patch to address these issues is ultimately, SAD! You are cutting out a large percentage of your clientele for an application that truly is FREE with most insurance companies now! The reason that I have OnStar is for the safety features that it provides (stolen car tracking) and convenience of being able to remote start my vehicle or go for a run and use my Apple Watch to unlock/lock my car! This type of answer and lack of making an effort to support loyal customers truly makes me wonder if GM is the brand that I want to continue to support in any way. As "Americas Car Company" you are FAILING with this lack of response and poor solution! Your customers expect more from you...and you need to DO BETTER!

Numbers71
New Contributor II

I agree, this is ridiculous.

Mauioo
New Contributor

Advisor Carol, your answer is unacceptable.  The app doesn't provide all of the OnStar benefits, who will look for their phone after an accident, what if the phone battery dies, what if you forget your phone.  Really bad on OnStar and GM.

ithrowbirds
New Contributor

I'm kinda confused.  I could have sworn Canada faced and solved this problem with actual upgrades, but on the US side were getting told to use our phone and lose most the stuff we actually care about.  Am I missing something?  Am I getting this correct?

13camaroRS
New Contributor III

No Onstar upgrade means my next new vehicle purchase will NOT be a GM

Numbers71
New Contributor II

What are the 2022 vehicles running on, 3G? I can't seem to find out searching online.

tricon23
New Contributor II

New vehicles are running 4GLTE

KurtM
New Contributor III

@ithrowbirds, you are correct.  OnStar did a stellar job of addressing the problem for Canada back in 2015.

https://www.terrainforum.net/threads/onstar-announces-how-2g-to-4g-hardware-update-will-be-handled.9...

@Carol_Moderator  this was done once before (Canada) so OnStar already knows how to do this and has sourced the 4G LTE hardware (for the upgrade) once before -- why not again?  Run a quick focus group on 2G vehicle owners and pose the question of owner-paid upgrades (vs. OnStar paid) to see if it would be an acceptable solution (because the OnStar App is NOT acceptable). I for one would gladly pay out-of-pocket to upgrade my own car's OnStar module to a 4G LTE module to save Remote Key FOB (Remote Start, Remote Unlock/Lock), Stolen Vehicle Assistance, and all the other features I am losing in December 2022.  With vehicle ownership continuing to commonly exceed 10 years (especially with today's used car prices), I think many people would agree with me and pay out-of-pocket to upgrade their vehicle to 4G LTE at a dealership -- with hardware you sell to the vehicle owner.  Now THAT's customer service that shows you care.