cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2G Network Sunset - Bluetooth and Other Functions

ljschoepke
Contributor

Attn: Admin_Skylar

Please provide information as to what services will still work after the 2G shutdown.  ie. Bluetooth connection between our phones and vehicles.  Will the "hands free" still work?  Will spoken vehicle commands still work?  Please post here or direct us to where it is documented what will and will not work.  Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

ljschoepke
Contributor

Admin_Skylar

Still waiting for a response.

Aceluvjay67
New Contributor II

Smfh they don’t care about us and if you haven’t got a response by now I sadly doubt you ever will. I’m cancelling this shit at the end of December 

JasonDog3
New Contributor III

I've started a petition to get our vehicles upgraded: https://chng.it/RqCVdg85xC

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for reaching out to us, ljschoepke.

After the 2G network sunset, the three-button assembly in your vehicle will be deactivated and some of your Safety & Security services will remain the same while others will no longer be available. You will still have 24/7 access to OnStar Advisors via 1.888.4ONSTAR and the OnStar Guardian app.

The Guardian app will provide:

• Emergency Services
  • Crisis Assist
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Mobile Crash Response
  • Location Status

And you will no longer be connected to:

• Automatic Crash Response
  • Stolen Vehicle Assistance
  • Turn-by-Turn Navigation

The myChevrolet/myBuick/myGMC/myCadillac mobile app has connected services features that will also no longer work after the 2G cellular network sunset. Services such as remote access, remote door lock/unlock and vehicle locate are no longer a part of your OnStar plan after 2022.

You can find more information about the 2G network sunset on the following page: https://www.onstar.com/us/en/support/2g-network-sunset.

Additionally, OnStar Hands-Free Calling was discontinued starting February 2022. In its place, Members can use Bluetooth pairing to make phone calls while keeping their hands on the wheel. If your vehicle is equipped with Bluetooth, it will continue to pair to your compatible phone. You can find more info on that here: https://www.onstar.com/us/en/support/hands-free-calling.

O14u2see
New Contributor

Why doesn't GM or OnStar have an update or upgrade from 2 or 3G option to keep well maintained equipment still viable for use with the 4G networks?

fescobej
New Contributor

It’s all about the bottom line folks.  Doing the upgrade (that has already been done in Canada) will cost the company more than they can recoup.  How as consumers do we respond?  Those looking to buy another vehicle should take there hard earned money to another car company.  

ljschoepke
Contributor

Attn: Community Manager

I don't see this in the FAQs (https://www.onstar.com/us/en/support/2g-network-sunset😞

Do we need to call OnStar via the Blue Button to deactivate the 2G hardware so we don't get extraneous messages, ect. when the cellular carriers shutdown 2G?

KurtM
New Contributor III

And so on Thanksgiving Day, after enjoying a fabulous meal at my daughter's house, I used the myCadillac app on my phone to remote start my car and warm it up before braving the elements and the cold -- or so I thought I would. My Remote Start button was gone from my app. Fearing the worst, I went out and got into my car and saw that the OnStar light was dark. Yes, that's right, GM sent me a Thanksgiving present and while I was eating dinner and giving thanks, they disconnected my OnStar on my 2012 Cadillac.

I knew it was coming and yet just the same I was pissed off. On Thanksgiving Day GM? Way to rub salt into the wound! Here's the funny thing (well, maybe one day it will seem funny). I pushed my OnStar button out of frustration and anger (and may have even used my middle finger to push it) and imagine my shock when I hear the OnStar voice advising me to push it again if I wanted to connect my car to the OnStar service (or something to that effect). Now intrigued, because apparently I still had 2G CDMA service since my car was able to remotely figure out that it had been disconnected, I pushed the OnStar button again and found myself connected to and speaking with an OnStar advisor!

I explained to the nice person on the other end that the reason for my call was that I was confused about the situation. I had just entered my vehicle and found my OnStar service disconnected, yet here I was using the 2G CDMA OnStar network to speak with her. She politely asked me to hold on while she looked up my account details (apparently she could still get her system to find me) and verified that this was regarding the 2012 Cadillac. She then asked if I was aware that GM was being forced to switch the owners of older vehicles.to their Guardian App. I said I was and that it was my understanding that it would happen in DECEMBER 2022, not on Thanksgiving Day in NOVEMBER.

She apologized and said that GM has already been rolling out the disconnections. I asked how it was that she and I were able to still talk through the OnStar button. I mean obviously, 2G CDMA hadn't disappeared yet. She said that the ability to speak to an OnStar Advisor was the last thing that GM would disconnect -- on December 31, 2022.

As we ended the call, she asked if there was anything else she could help me with -- and I replied "Besides saying goodbye to an estimated 1.5 million OnStar customers and their revenue? Yeah, tell me when GM is going to offer a hardware solution that I can purchase to upgrade my 2G CDMA OnStar module to a 4G LTE version." Of course, there was no solution to offer. Happy Thanksgiving GM.

P.S. Here's a petition that I encourage you to sign if that pissed you off as well (takes less than 4 minutes) -- https://chng.it/f8JmG4yxvY

Aceluvjay67
New Contributor II

I would of been just as upset as you. And I’m sorry that happened to you. OnStar and GMC should be ashamed of themselves.
I know I will be cancelling my service very soon, I refuse to give them another penny.