cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2G Network Response by GM is UNACCEPTABLE

kadco
New Contributor

GM, so in 2015 you installed 2G radio's in vehicles when 4G LTE (at the very lease 4G) service was the standard used by cellular carriers. They had already started or were well through the shutdown of the 3G networks. Now in 2021, you have had 6 years to work out a solution for this and all you can offer is 'Call Onstar'? Seriously? What about 'Crash Protection'? What about 'Remote FOB (unlock/lock)?  What happed to this solution? https://www.gm-trucks.com/onstar-data-2g-guardian/

Regards

A really ticked off customer since 2009 (4 Cadillac's, 1 Tahoe)

8 REPLIES 8

ljschoepke
Contributor

As I have stated in other threads, I will be cancelling my OnStar service at the end of the year if GM does not have a solution.  VERY POOR customer support/service!!!

Bamafan1973
New Contributor

I have told numerous stories, including my local Cadillac superintendent, that you can use your cell phone to connect to Onstar. Not true at all. Who needs Onstar/Guardian, which is as worthless as an AM radio or 8-track tape deck. We paid for Onstar when we bought our vehicles (in my case, a 2013 Escalade ESV Platinum), plus the annual charges. This should take either a software modification or a hardware modification. GM has probably lost me forever. Chrysler has never left me hanging in the wind like this. Very poor.

MatthewM
New Contributor

GM did this to me as 10+ years ago with the OnStar in my previous GM vehicle.  I simply can't believe this is the SECOND time second time GM has done this to me, but suffice it to say it will certainly be the last.  This is an issue that GM has had literal decades to plan, design and build systems that will inevitably require upgrades, but have done nothing to make such upgrades available.  

JasonDog3
New Contributor III

I have started a petition on this matter: https://chng.it/f8JmG4yxvY

Amaurosis
New Contributor

GM/Onstar should have a better fix for this than "oh, use your cell phone". Simply throwing away your customers who own 2015 or older vehicles is totally wrong and disrespectful. GM should have a replacement option for the cellular network card or if it requires replacement of the entire module, then so be it. FIX THIS GM.

hazeltalker
New Contributor

When General Motors filed bankruptcy during the financial crisis, Even though I would NEVER buy a General Motors product, as an American, I wanted to see an American auto company be successful and willing to do whatever I could do to help. After all, millions of people were exposed to unemployment because such a massive company went out of business, so I bought a new Buick.

As a reward, General Motors has this beautiful display module in my dashboard and decided to make it inoperable. That's right, my family and friends get to ask me questions about this 9-inch fiasco sitting on my dashboard. I will return the favor to General Motors. I will tell the story of the true American who got screwed by General Motors. When it came time to upgrade my OnStar products General Motors just cancelled it and left me looking stupid.  Don't worry guys. We will win in the long run. Just don't EVER buy another General Motors car. 

KurtM
New Contributor III

And so on Thanksgiving Day, after enjoying a fabulous meal at my daughter's house, I used the myCadillac app on my phone to remote start my car and warm it up before braving the elements and the cold -- or so I thought I would. My Remote Start button was gone from my app. Fearing the worst, I went out and got into my car and saw that the OnStar light was dark. Yes, that's right, GM sent me a Thanksgiving present and while I was eating dinner and giving thanks, they disconnected my OnStar on my 2012 Cadillac.

I knew it was coming and yet just the same I was pissed off. On Thanksgiving Day GM? Way to rub salt into the wound! Here's the funny thing (well, maybe one day it will seem funny). I pushed my OnStar button out of frustration and anger (and may have even used my middle finger to push it) and imagine my shock when I hear the OnStar voice advising me to push it again if I wanted to connect my car to the OnStar service (or something to that effect). Now intrigued, because apparently I still had 2G CDMA service since my car was able to remotely figure out that it had been disconnected, I pushed the OnStar button again and found myself connected to and speaking with an OnStar advisor!

I explained to the nice person on the other end that the reason for my call was that I was confused about the situation. I had just entered my vehicle and found my OnStar service disconnected, yet here I was using the 2G CDMA OnStar network to speak with her. She politely asked me to hold on while she looked up my account details (apparently she could still get her system to find me) and verified that this was regarding the 2012 Cadillac. She then asked if I was aware that GM was being forced to switch the owners of older vehicles.to their Guardian App. I said I was and that it was my understanding that it would happen in DECEMBER 2022, not on Thanksgiving Day in NOVEMBER.

She apologized and said that GM has already been rolling out the disconnections. I asked how it was that she and I were able to still talk through the OnStar button. I mean obviously, 2G CDMA hadn't disappeared yet. She said that the ability to speak to an OnStar Advisor was the last thing that GM would disconnect -- on December 31, 2022.

As we ended the call, she asked if there was anything else she could help me with -- and I replied "Besides saying goodbye to an estimated 1.5 million OnStar customers and their revenue? Yeah, tell me when GM is going to offer a hardware solution that I can purchase to upgrade my 2G CDMA OnStar module to a 4G LTE version." Of course, there was no solution to offer. Happy Thanksgiving GM.

P.S. Here's a petition that I encourage you to sign if that pissed you off as well (takes less than 4 minutes) -- https://chng.it/f8JmG4yxvY

diggerdegroff
New Contributor III